Sunday, January 20, 2013

Nail Polish and Color has no gender, Painting ones nails should be the same.


Hello world! Since I am so much for the movement that nail polish, colored nails and the fact that one likes to paint their nails is genderless, from this day forward, I will do my best to be true to what I belive in. 
So in the spirit of equality, I will refrain from comenting on this topic (nail polish) from a man’s point of view. I will insted do  it from the point of view of a person that enjoys nail polish. 
I think that stating that I am a man, that I an not gay, trans, bi, cross-dresser or anything that referes to sexuality and-or gender issues, is not in the best interest of the comunity and is irrelevant.  
I know the title of my blog says otherwise, but that was the way I felt when I first started it.  Although I understand that there are many people out there who are all for the new wave of marketing nail polish for men, I don’t think it should be that way. In a certain way, it contradicts what many polished men, including myself say, and that is that nail polish is genderless, that coloring ones nails is also not exclusive to females and that the fact that men who like to wear nail polish may do so at free will. 

men wearing black nail polish



That should not be limited to color selection either, and I say this becasue I see that many nail polish companies that market their product have a very limited color selection. Most of these companies have what society considers “manly colors”, and that is where I disagree. Color is genderless, and as such, it should not be limited to a certain selection for a certain gender. You don’t have to be a female, a male rock star or male celebrity to wear nail color, you just have to be you. Once you get nail polish and what it is all about, one of the things any polish addict is waiting for, is color selection, so limiting ones color selection seems stupid. The mere fact that companies market “male color selection” is again puting the male in a box, as if we were not boxed enough already. They are saying, ok, men can wear nail polish, but it should be limited to these color selection because they are “manly” colors, It's so ilogical. Nail Polish, you either get it, or you don’t, and you don’t have to be a certain gender to get it or enjoy it. 

10 comments:

  1. Hi ,
    I'm an italian journalist. I was wondering if there's a chance to have your e-mail in order to make you a few questions.

    Best

    Carlotta Fornaroli
    carlottafornaroli@love-nails.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! Check your inbox, thanks for stoping by.

      Delete
    2. you can always email me via my profile or directly at ntxpert2000@hotmail.com

      Delete
  2. I love how you make your point! Being a nail polisher for over 20 years I got to say that you said it just the way I would only have said it back then. I never bended toward the male polishes that are marketed today. For one they cost more and like you said boxes us guys in. I get whatever damn color that I like at the time no matter WHO makes it! Love your quote ..."Nail Polish, you either get it, or you don’t, and you don’t have to be a certain gender to get it or enjoy it." -PEACE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stoping by, I am glad you agree, but more than anything, I am glad you posted your comment! I see all the hits the blog gets and believe me, it does not represent the followers or the posted comments. This blog has thousands of hits, but it seems that even in anonymity many people refrain from commenting. There is much FEAR still out there regarding the subject.

      Delete
    2. Yes I agree. I would also like to hear about the guys who painted their fingers with color or french and actually wore them to work.
      I'm really curious as to how many guys out there did and got in trouble or worse FIRED! I did a few times and well now that I'm 54 I can give a rats ass. THIS IS ME! Been taking care of my nails for decades now and have no fear of anything! That includes wearing my bright pink toes and fingers out in public. I also wear (I live in Florida) flip flops, mostly woman's, toe rings, an earring, and a real nice sterling anklet and junior shorts, jeans and sometimes a pair of 3" black wedge sandals! In all this time I have virtually eliminated all my male attire, except some dockers and polo shirts 4 work. None of it mind you looks crazy girlie except my denim skirts which I sometimes wear in public. Usually by myself of with my daughter in law. We go out sometimes and buy clothes or get our nails done together! (LOT's O Fun!) . So without making a giant log here I just wanted to say my .02 cents worth. All the fear is in your head. Get over that and the rest is all a BLAST! --- PEACE

      Delete
    3. Well I have my fingernails colored all the time, but I am self employed, so I wont fire myself anytime soon. I am Pro Photographer and Marketing Professional. I also do lectures for sales people in different fields. As you, I couldn't care less about what people think or say about me, A few years back I came to the conclusion that life is meant to be enjoyed to its fullest and that any obstacles we run into are all in our minds. We put up our own barriers. So when it comes to how I live, dress, or present myself to others, I write, bend or break my own rules. I drive my life and don't let others stair it for me!

      Delete